This contemporary looking twist action ballpoint was made as a special order request for a Japanese themed pen. Having researched the possibilities a final design was agreed:
Contemporary pen fittings to be used but instead of using either wood or acrylic for the body I suggested wrapping the central tube in Chiyogami Yuken. This is beautifully screen printed paper from Japan. The designs were originally ased on the bright kimono textiles from the Edo period (1603 – 1868) which the papermakers from the countryside saw on fashionable wealthier ladies in larger cities. Ciyogami, literally thousand generation (chiyo) paper (gami), is meticulously produced by hand. Each layer of colour is silk screened on individually. This chosen pattern is 日本の女の子 or Japanese Girl. The rolled paper was then cast in resin before being hand turned to shape. Several grades of abrasives were then used to polish the pen barrel followed by a final buffing with metal polish.
The metal fittings have a highly polished gold finish to contrast with the highly polished black components at either end.
The top of this version is fitted with a rubber stylus suitable for use on most tablets and touch screens
A black Parker type refill is fitted as standard, but can easy be changed by carefully unscrewing the lower black section from the coloured part of the pen. This standard refill can be purchased at most stationary stores.
Since each pen is a unique work of art, exact duplicates are not possible. But, I will do my best to create duplicates of the pen if requested
Handmade Pen Product Details
- Made in the Tamworth UK by Mike Topp
- Hand turned rolled & potted Chiyogami Yuken blank / Polished gold metal finish
- Combined use – ballpoint and touchscreen stylus.
- Attractive highly coloured body – impress your friends!
- Easy to replace ink refills – Parker Style Refill available at most stationers
What’s Included with your Ballpoint Pen Purchase
- Includes the handcrafted pen in the pictures hown above
- Includes ink refill – ready to use
- Includes velvet protective pen sleeve
- Includes Certificate of Authenticity
Additional Information on Handcrafted Pens
- All of the pens on The Forest At Your Fingertips website are handmade and handcrafted on a lathe in my workshop
- Each picture of a pen is the actual pen that you will receive
- Most products will ship within 48 hours
- Each pen is unique, no two will ever be alike since they are handcrafted works of art
- All pens are shipped in boxes, and packed carefully
Jon Glover –
I gave Mike a fairly generic brief by asking him to create a pen with a Japanese theme for a school teacher. With the simplest of briefs Mike was enthusiastic and committed to making sure the pen was perfect and that we were happy. I am pleased to report that with Mikes creative flair, undoubted talent and commitment to customer service, the pen we have received has exceeded all expectations.
It is utterly perfect in every way, aesthetically, practically and personally. It will be treasured for a long, long time.
5 Stars (Can`t reccomend enough)