This handmade twist action ballpoint pen was made as a special commission for a client specifying that he would like it as a gift for a friend who likes to play golf.
I selected a piece of Olive wood as the grain pattern is very eye-catching and attractive against a quite simple mechanism design.
The normal plain clip was replaced with a golf club shape to fit in with the clients requirements.
Olive wood is very hard and is prized for its durability, colour, high combustion temperature and interesting grain patterns. Because of the commercial importance of the fruit, and the relatively small size of the tree, olive wood and its products are relatively expensive. Common uses of the wood include: kitchen utensils, carved wooden bowls, cutting boards, fine furniture, and decorative items.
The yellow or light greenish-brown wood is often finely veined with a darker tint; being very hard and close-grained, it is valued by woodworkers.
The olive branch was often a symbol of abundance, glory and peace. Quite appropriate I thought as this project is to be a retirement gift!
The two parts of the pen body were fitted to my lathe and turned down to the required diameters followed by several stages of sanding from 230 grit down to 1400 grit. The the pieces were then polished with several coats of a hardwearing friction wood polish before being waxed.
The metal fittings have a polished 22ct gold plate to compliment the swirly colours in the wood. The pen is a slim design to increase comfort for those who like to write!
A black Cross type refill is fitted as standard, but can easy be changed by carefully fulling the two halves of the pen apart. The refill is them unscrewed from the twist mechanism before replacing. This standard Cross refill can be purchased at most stationary stores.
Handmade Pen Product Details
- Made in the Tamworth UK by Mike Topp
- Hand turned Olive wood/ metalwork in highly polished 22ct gold plate
- Attractive contrasting colours and finishes – impress your friends!
- Easy to replace ink refills – Cross Style Refill available at most stationers
What’s Included with your Ballpoint Pen Purchase
- Includes the handcrafted pen in the pictures hown above
- Includes ink refill – ready to use
- Includes velvet protective pen sleeve
- Includes Certificate of Authenticity
Additional Information on Handcrafted Pens
- All of the pens on The Forest At Your Fingertips website are handmade and handcrafted on a lathe in my workshop
- Each picture of a pen is the actual pen that you will receive
- Most products will ship within 48 hours
- Each pen is unique, no two will ever be alike since they are handcrafted works of art
- All pens are shipped in boxes, and packed carefully