Turned from raw 303 grade Stainless Steel, this back to basics Fountain pen is just the pen to show off contemporary design. The 303 Stainless Steel alloy demonstrates excellent toughness, corrosion resistance and weighs in at only 2.2 oz. The smooth threads for attaching the solid cap and nib unit have been machined into the stainless steel components.
To contrast this smooth industrial look I chose to turn the body of the pen from an eye-catching wood called Thuya Burl.
Thuya wood (pronounced two-ya) is from the Thuya tree (Tetraclinis articulate in Latin, and Araar in Moroccan). This biblical tree is a conifer from the cedar family, and is exclusively native to Morocco. This highly praised conifer grows only in the forests of the Atlas mountains east of Essaouira, the beautiful coastal town famous for its ancient and contemporary history, museums, art galleries, world music festival, and above all for its Thuya wood craftsmanship. Thuya wood was highly praised by Romans and Greeks, and its oils were used in religious rituals and ceremonies. Thuya trees reach maturity over many decades. Still the praised part of this tree is not the trunk, but the burl buried in the ground. The burl has a deeper colour, a more concentrated aroma, and a fascinating grain. Today these burls are very scarce and hard to locate, extract, and transport. High demand over the centuries has greatly reduced the Thuya forests, and looking for underground burls is something like sifting through sand for grains of gold. Moreover, most of these burls are very small, therefore the fact that most of the items made from this luxurious wood are of a small nature. Another hindrance is that burls generally have large splits and defects that need to be cut out. When luck strikes and a large solid burl is found, it is bid on by artisans, and is sold to the highest bidder. Burls are moved from mountainous areas on mules and donkeys as they are the only form of transportation suited to the task. All that having been said, the real value of the Thuya handcrafted goods is in the highly skilled artists who intricately design Thuya burls into breathtaking masterpieces.
The pen is supplied with a standard ink cartridge and a refillable reservoir for using bottled inks
Handmade Pencil Product Details
- Made in the Tamworth UK by Mike Topp
- Hand turned Thuya Burl / turned 303 Grade Stainless Steel metal fittings
- Easy to replace std Parker type refills available at most stationers
What’s Included with your Pencil Purchase
- Includes the handcrafted pen in the pictures shown above
- Includes velvet protective pen sleeve
- Includes Certificate of Authenticity
Additional Information on Handcrafted Pens & Pencils
- All of the pens on The Forest At Your Fingertips website are handmade and handcrafted on a lathe in my workshop
- Each picture of a pen is the actual pen that you will receive
- Most products will ship within 48 hours
- Each pen is unique, no two will ever be alike since they are handcrafted works of art
- All pens are shipped in boxes, and packed carefully