This pen has been made with the astronomical theme of moon and stars depicted in the gold plated fittings. The wooden body is made from a single piece of Buckthorn wood which was cut to length prior to turning. By using this method the grain and colouring of the wood follows through from top to bottom. Buckthorn Heartwood is a yellowish-orange, sometimes with darker red or brown streaks. Sapwood is a pale off-white or straw colour. The fruit of most Buckthorn species contain a yellow dye and the seeds are rich in protein. Oils from the seeds are used for making lubricating oil, printing ink, and soap.
When making the pen body, the two parts were turned on a common mandrel to approximate size before being sanded with decreasing grade of abrasive papers. When the surface felt very smooth to the touch the grain was sealed with a coat of cellulose sanding sealer. before the final sanding with 1600 grit cloth. A coat of clear lacquer were then sprayed and allowed to dry for several hours. This process was repeated six times until a glass like finish was achieved.
Once the lacquered had hardened the various parts of the pen were carefully assembled to ensure the grain on each part followed through.
The Parker type refill is changed by simply unscrewing the two wooden halves of the pen. Compatible refills are available from all good stationery stores.
Handmade Pen Product Details
- Made in the Tamworth UK by Mike Topp
- Polished Buckthorn wood body / Gold & enamel metal components
- Impressive eyecatching pen – impress your friends!
- Easy to replace ink cartidges – “Parker” style refill available at most stationers
What’s Included with your Ballpoint Pen Purchase
- Includes the handcrafted pen in the pictures shown above
- Includes black ink refill – ready to use
- Includes velvet protective pen sleeve
- Includes Certificate of Authenticity
Additional Information on Handcrafted Pens
- All of the pens on The Forest At Your Fingertips website are handmade and handcrafted on a lathe in my workshop
- Most products will ship within 48 hours
- Each pen is unique, no two will ever be alike since they are handcrafted works of art
- All pens are shipped in boxes, and packed carefully