This is an unusual pen design inspired by my best selling bolt action pen mechanism, this Gearshift Antique Pewter pen is an ideal gift for any car enthusiast.
The wood used is a native of the UK – Rowan, also known as Mountain Ash due to the fact that it grows well at high altitudes and its leaves are similar to those of the ash, Fraxinus excelsior. However, the two species are not related.
The colour red was considered to be the best colour for fighting evil, and so the rowan, with its bright red berries, has long been associated with magic and witches. Its old Celtic name is ‘fid na ndruad’, which means wizards’ tree. In Ireland it was planted near houses to protect them against spirits, and in Wales rowan trees were planted in churchyards. Cutting down a rowan was considered taboo in Scotland. This wood is from a neighbours tree damaged in winter gales.
The wood was used for stirring milk to prevent it curdling, and as a pocket charm against rheumatism. It was also used to make divining rods.
The mechanism design is based on a five-speed H pattern car gear change and can be shifted just like the real thing! Authenticity abounds; The cap features a car tyre with a true to life tread and hubcap. The tip features the same tyre tread as the cap. The gear knob includes an etched five-speed pattern. And the industrialised crowbar clip attaches to the body with two small screws rounds to out the design.
The refill fully advances at the front of the shifter and fully retracts at the back of the shifter.
The design uses a popular Parker style refill which can be accessed by unscrewing the tip to reveal the refill. Replacement is simply a reverse of the process.
Handmade Pen Product Details
- Made in the Tamworth UK by Mike Topp
- Highly polished Mountain Ash wood body / Pewter enamel metal components
- Impressive eyecatching pen – impress your friends!
- Easy to replace ink cartidges – “Parker” Style Refill available at most stationers
What’s Included with your Ballpoint Pen Purchase
- Includes the handcrafted Shock Absorber pen in the pictures shown above
- Includes black ink cartridge – ready to use
- Includes velvet protective pen sleeve
- Includes Certificate of Authenticity
Additional Information on Handcrafted Pens
- All of the pens on The Forest At Your Fingertips website are handmade and handcrafted on a lathe in my workshop
- Most products will ship within 48 hours
- Each pen is unique, no two will ever be alike since they are handcrafted works of art
- All pens are shipped in boxes, and packed carefully