This design is based round a pierced satin gold finished cap which has another pierced silver layer underneath. The cap unscrews to reveal an ergonomic grip which itself can be unscrewed to remove the rollerball refil. After unscrewing the cap it an be srewed on the other end of the pen to give a nice balance whilst writing.
I obtained some samples of this unusual timber called Holm Oak, sometimes called Holly Oak. It is quite a coarse open grain which normally doesnt lend itself to small objects like pen bodies. This however, not only looks attractive, but sands to a smooth finish. Following the sanding with various reducing grades of abrasive the pen body was given a light spray with sander sealer before another ligh sand. The 4 coats of clear Melamine lacquer was sprayed on. Each coat allwed to dry for several hours before a light sand and yet another coat of lacquer.
The term “holm” oak is another word for “holly,” so named because the foliage of Quercus ilex resembles Holly. (The tree is also sometimes known as Evergreen Oak, since it keeps its leaves year round, with old leaves falling off after the new ones appear. Holm Oak falls into the white oak group, and shares many of the same traits as White Oak (Quercus alba).
Holly or Holm Oak is rarely if ever imported, it is usually only available in or around its natural range surrounding the Mediterraenean Basin. So I am pleased to secure a small quantity of it. Holm Oak is ofeten used to make tools, cabinetry, furniture, wine barrels, turned objects, and even firewood (which seems sacrilege!)
The pen uses a Schneider Topball 850 refill that can be purchased from most good stationary stores or online. They are available in a choice of 4 ink colours.
Handmade Pen Product Details
- Made in the Tamworth UK by Mike Topp
- Melamine finished Holly Oak wood with satin gold finish metalwork
- Impressive eye-catching pen – impress your friends!
- Easy to replace ink refills -Scnieder 850 refill available at most stationers
- Includes black ink refil – ready to use
- Includes velvet protective pen sleeve
- Includes Certificate of Authenticity
Additional Information on Handcrafted Pens
- All of the pens on The Forest At Your Fingertips website are handmade and handcrafted on a lathe in my workshop
- Most products will ship within 48 hours
- Each pen is unique, no two will ever be alike since they are handcrafted works of art
- All pens are shipped in boxes, and packed carefully